Friday, January 28, 2011

Stero-Typing Saves Time..or so they say..

So, as it turns out, I lied to you about NOT posting until Sunday. Actually I changed my mind because A) I have some free time and B) I thought of a good one this morning on my way to work. As a beautiful singer once piped out.. “Everybody’s got a story that will break your heart..”. As I was walking to the LRT this morning, it was about 6:30am and it was completely silent outside…and I got to thinking…if something happened to me (random dog attack..mugger) no one would be around to help me…(I know I have anxiety issues…ha-ha), and then I saw someone walk to the LRT about a block away from me, and then, I’m not sure why, but I got to thinking about that person…and what they are like, and why I assume they are an axe murderer???

All we know about people we pass by on the street is what they look like, and that is how we see them or even judge them. For example, when I see a good looking person, man or woman, I automatically assume they have a great job, make good money , have an active social life (going out and such..) and most likely have a great life full of love and happiness. THE REALITY: They may not be very happy, they may have a high paying job but hate every minute of it….and the people they surround themselves with may be shallow and thankless, only hanging out with them b/c of looks or money or even status! For all I know, this person could be planning their suicide as I pass by them b/c they are so depressed about life…or they could have just heard some bad news about a family member…or maybe they have NO family!

Now lets play the opposite: You pass by someone who is not as attractive looking as YOU may approve of (admit, we all do it), and you don’t give them much thought…you might even say to yourself ‘wow that person is unfortunate looking”, or “man that person is huge/fat” or whatever which is rude, but yet we ALL do it. And btw, the whole calling a Big person “huge” or “fat” is irritating. I mean, DO YOU THINK WE’RE BLIND?? I own mirrors, obviously I’m aware of this fact, thanks J. That’s like walking past someone with glasses and saying “that person has glasses..”..thanks for pointing out the obvious jerk-ass. ANYWAYS, back to my point…YOU have NO idea of this persons life, why are you judging him? Are you in a position to judge ANYONE??? Because, now correct me if I am wrong, but YOU are hardly perfect yourself. We ALL  have our faults and our own stories. That person you walked by could be the most kind and generous person alive!! Hell he might throw his own coat down so your boots don’t get wet in the puddles, especially the huge ones we have going on here in the city!!

Anyways, I’m done ranting for this morning…I’ve often used the term “stereo-typing saves time”, but the reality is, some amazing people might pass you by b/c your worried about outward appearances. And DO NOT take this rant as me saying I am perfect, it angers me that I am this way sometimes, and I am really putting in an effort to stop judging people…because after all, If we put all of our problems in a big pile with everyone else’s..we’d gladly take ours back, no questions asked.

-Love, Laura xoxox

4 comments:

  1. Some of the most amazing people in my life are there because I simply did not judge them first. Great topic Laura, everyone should think about this and maybe even try to make an effort to get to know a person first before judging them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I often think about this when I'm out and about, I also know some amazing people b/c i didn't judge first...its about time I blogged about it!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good final thought! I have to say, I'm a bit of a hypocrit... I judge people on how they treat others who work in the service industry (Ie... retail = me) but when I go out shopping I try to be as BLAH as possible so I can shop in peace and avoid pushy sales people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats totally understandable..some of them are WAY to in ya face!! Iam a bit the opposite...Being in customer service for so long, doing esthetics and having to kiss ass to people, sometimes without ANY tip...I am VERY nice to people in customer service/retail..anyplace...i'm also a fantastic tipper, since i know what its like to get a BS tip for working ur ass off!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete