Sunday, March 27, 2011

Stressed...is "Desserts" Spelled backwards..?

WHY HELLO!!!!!!!! Obviously I needed CAPS on to emphasize my excitement! My greatest apologies for NOT blogging in SO long. Work has been a nuthouse and I've been tired and uninspired, and didn't want to come up with a half assed blog every week...about whatever I was feeling passionate about that week.  This week I am feeling passionate about STRESS. Although i may be mistaking passion for murderous rage...they are similar aren't they?

I won't divulge into exactly WHAT is making me stressed, because frankly, I don't feel like being negative like that, but its concerning me that I am letting little work things get to me in such a huge way! Considering people who know me, know I am not a stress-case. I'm pretty calm and laid back usually, but these days I'm tense and irritated. Which leads me to my point: Why do we let little things bother us? Especially at the end of the day, does it really matter? The world won't end if I don't finish that one info package or call that one grocery manager.

I have always worked hard at making sure work didn't become my life. All I thought about even when I'm not at work...its bad enough I think about work AT WORK! I'm quite private at work, regarding my personal life...and at home, I don't really like talking about work...but somehow, the two are being mixed up...mixed up like my dad's plate at thanksgiving.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the people I work with. I've never worked at someplace where everyone is so close, and every single day, since I started (a year ago) there has been laughter...and not just "hehe-haha" laughing...its more of a CACKLE! HOWEVER...these days, the cackling hens aren't doing it for me...as stress relievers anyways.

SO, WHAT in fact do I do to relieve this work-like stress?? I've been trying a few things lately...some good, others not so good. Working out kind of helps...the sweat burning my eyes and gasping for breath helps take away the thought of work, but only for a few minutes. Usually sleep helps, but that's few and far between these days...as i toss and turn THINKING about how much work i have to do the next day. A recent ritual I've brought back into play seems to be working the best..: Changing out of work clothes as soon as I get in the house..and possibly showering. Now, I'm not showering b/c I had an exhausting bus ride home, but b/c it seems to LITERALLY wash my negativity and BULLSHIT form the day. I tested this theory out a few times last week and it seemed to really relax me! I work with a few co-workers who are a bit high strung and anxious all the time, and I've always been one to pick up peoples energies so a shower seems to be the answer, as I stated before..it washes away the day...ahhhhhh.

Anyways...whatever stress relief you have, use it..and often! Theres a lot of scientific evidence proving that stress is one of the leading causes of cancer...ekk! Thus the reason I will take drastic measures to be calm. At the end of the day, most things are not THAT big of a deal. The world isn't going to end b/c you didn't do something. You must learn to life a stress free life...b/c nobody likes seeing their co-worker go into work with a saw'd-off shot gun "admin assistant" style and taking everyone out...including the purolator guy....that is all.

Love, Laura xoxoxox

QUESTION: What are your favorite "home made" stress-relievers that work for you?

1 comment:

  1. I've read an article that said in a study, they found that sighing helps to relieve stress. Good blog Laura!

    ReplyDelete